SAUSAGE & POTATO CORN CHOWDER
This hearty soup is perfect as an addition to your meal or perfect as a meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
1 – 12 oz. package Jalapeno sausage, cooked and diced into small cubes
6 slices of bacon – cooked crispy and crumbled
1 Medium yellow onion – diced
1/3 cup of all - purpose flour
¾ tsp. dried oregano
2 (14.5 oz.) cans of low sodium chicken broth + 4 oz. or 32 – 34 oz.
2 carrots – peeled and diced
1 cup heavy cream
2 celery stalks – diced
4 cups milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
8 Tbsp. of butter – divided
1 bay leaf
5 medium red potatoes (1 ¾ lb.) –diced into ¾ inch cubes
Chopped green onions or chives, for serving
½ tsp. dried thyme
2 cups fresh corn (or frozen)
1. In a large pot, melt 2 Tbsp. butter over medium heat.
Add onion, carrot, and celery and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes.
Add chicken broth, potatoes, oregano, thyme, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and allow to cook, stir occasionally until potatoes are nearly tender (about 15 minutes).
3. Add in sausage and corn and cook until potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes longer.
4. In a medium saucepan, melt remaining 6 Tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook mixture, stirring constantly, 1 ½ minutes.
5. While whisking, slowly add in milk and whisk vigorously to smooth lumps, season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil and allow to thicken, whisking constantly.
6. Remove from heat, stir heavy cream.
7. Pour the milk mixture into soup mixture (once potatoes are tender) and stir.
8. Serve warm and topped with bacon and chives.